We asked the Swiss president, Julien Babel, the co-organizers of the European Footgolf Trophy Tour (EFTT), what should we expect from this year’s tournament. In May there will be two rounds in one time, and in June there will be games in all of the weekends.
– How did it started?
and all the presidents of the Fifg country membersall the presidents of the FIFG country members.– It was logical to do it. 2 years ago, I called Gabor to speak about this tour and suggested to make it happen. He thanked it, because he wanted it for a while. We started to call the federations all around Europe, asking if they were going to organize international events in 2014. After many-many skype meetings and e-mails the European Footgolf Trophy Tour was born. And a really great friendship among Hungary, Switzerland and all the presidents of the FIFG country members. But also with England because Paul Killick is always there to help and to push forward. We all met in the very early hours of footgolf.
– Was it difficult to organize this tournament?
– Yes, because we needed a lot of agreements between the associations. Regarding the management of calendar, the ranking system and all the others stuff, everything was and is to build and invent, it is very exciting.
– Are you satisfied with the first year?
– Definitely. Almost 400 players were involved in the EFTT. It could be a root in these countries, because we would like to have a great youth basis. You will play a sport, if you see, it is a great one. That’s why this tour is fantastic. There are new countries as well, which is so important. The new hosting nations came to us, because they wanted to organize one of the rounds.They (and we also) need media attention, and an international cup can bring it. After last year’s nine, we have fifteen stages in 2015. There was no question about to make the second season. We look forward. We have learnt so much in 2014. It helps the federation to meet and communicate together also.
– Was it difficult to decide, where will start and end the tournament?
– It is important, but Spain and Turkey has the best weather in these days, so it made our decision easier.
– The 3rd and 4th round will be on the same weekend at the end of May in Norway and in France. Why?
– We had a lot of plans for that. But there are 15 nations with their own schedule. We have tried to change it, but this year we could not. I think that will not happen in the future. If we can not find a lonely date, that country will maybe not host a stage.
– June will be so busy with four rounds in Holland, Italy, Switzerland and Belgium.
– Someone can take it as a 10-day holiday, and reach two countries. For example, Americans can come to Europe in this period, and maybe in three weeks they can earn enough points. It will be a kind of boxing month, where a lot can happened.
– When will you be satisfied after the final in Turkey?
– When we will have new partners. When they attend a game, they will see, what we have built from nothing. It must be so attractive for the companies. And I hope the team tournament will be in higher level. It is good for palyers, who are not in the top ten individual, but with three partners, they can win team prizes. When you see tears and smiles in every faces, you know that you got it!
– Your team finished in first place, and David Mancino is the first winner of EFTT. Can you double?
– It is a bit different here than in other countries. We all know each others, we are good friends. It helps us, but you know, in footgolf, to win a cup depends on centimetres. Mancino was the winner in Europe, but he is not the Swiss champion. So we are strong this year again, I think. What is sure, footgolf will win again and again. I am sure that in the near future, all footgolfers will play in one federation, we are working hard on it to make footgolf win again and again.